Currently Head of the Department of Statistics (2020-24)
Department of Statistics
Date of Birth 14 Febrouary 1973
E-mail ntzoufras at aueb.gr
Personal Web-page http://www.stat-athens.aueb.gr/~jbn
Office Address: 2, Troias, Kimolou & Spetson Str., 4th Floor, Office 410
Phone: +30 210 - 8203 968
Head of the Department of Statistics (2020-24).
Professor at the Department of Statistics of Athens University of Economics and Business from 22/12/2015.
Graduate of the Department of Statistics and Insurance Science (1994). He received his M.Sc. in Statistics with Application in Medicine (with distinction) from the University of Southampton (1995) and his Ph.D. from the Department of Statistics at Athens University of Economics and Business (1999). He completed his military service from May 1999 until November of 2000. He worked as temporary teaching faculty member at the Department Statistics and Actuarial Science of the University of the Aegean (2000-2001). In 2001 he earned (jointly with another candidate) the Lefkopouleion Prize for the best thesis in Statistics in Greece for the period 1999-2000 awarded by the Greek Statistical Institute. He worked a Lecturer of Quantitative Methods at the Department of Business Administration of the University of the Aegean for the period 2001-2004, and as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Statistics of the Athens University of Economics and Business from 2004 until 2011. Over the last years, he has been teaching in several postgraduate courses of the Athens University of Economics and Business (Statistics, Business Analytics, and Data Science), of the University of Athens (Biostatistics, and Estimation and Management of Professional, Environmental and Medical Risk) and of the University of the Aegean (Business Administration). He has given a number of lectures in postgraduate courses at the University of Pavia and at the Universita Catollica del Sacro Cuore (Milan, Italy) and at the Ph.D. program of Statistics at the University of Biccoca-Milan. He has served as a general secretaty of the Greek Statistical Institute for 2006 - 2007. He is creator and organizer of the grstats list (http://grstats.forumotion.net/). In 2010, his book entitled "Bayesian Modeling Using WinBUGS", published by Wiley and Sons, received honorary mention in the subject of mathematics in the PROSE (Professional and Scholarly Excellence) Awards given by the Association of American Publishers - AAP.
His research interests focus on topics of Bayesian and computational statistics, categorical data analysis, statistical modeling, model and variable selection methodology. He is also highly motivated by applications of sophisticated models in problems related with Medical research, Psychometrics, and sport analytics.
Associate Editor in the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society C (Applied Statistics) 2019-2023
Associate Editor in the Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports 2020-2024
- 1995-1999: Athens University of Economics and Business, Ph.D. in Statistics. Title: `Aspects of Bayesian Model and Variable Selection Using MCMC', Supervisor Petros Dellaportas, email: email@example.com
- 1994-1995: University of Southampton, M.Sc. in Statistics with Applications in Medicine.
- 1990-1994: University of Piraeus, B.Sc. in Statistics and Insurance Science.
- January 2011: Associate Professor in Statistics, Department of Statistics, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- October 2004 - January 201: Assistant Professor in Statistics, Department of Statistics, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- September 2001-September 2004: Lecturer in Quantitative Methods, Department of Business Administration, School of Management and Administration, University of the Aegean.
- February 2001-August 2001: Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, School of Sciences, University of the Aegean.
- Statistical Analysis and Programming using Splus.
- Biostatistics (incl. clinical trials, survival analysis, bioassay, genetics).
- Statistics in Sports (Athlostatistics).
- Bayesian Statistics.
- Multivariate Analysis and Structural Equation Models (Path Analysis, Exploratory and Confirmatory Models)
- Generalised Linear Models.
- Bayesian Model Selection via MCMC (SSVS, Reversible Jump), Bayes Factors, Variable and Link Selection.
- Selection of prior distributions for Bayesian Model and Variable Selection.
- Categorical and ordinal data analysis.
- Application of Advanced Bayesian Data analysis in Actuarial Science, Sports and Medicine.
- Bayesian Model Uncertainty for Survival Data.
Click here to see my Publications and Research Work
Full CV in pdf is available here [updated on 31/7/2023]
Πλήρες βιογραφικό στα ελληνικά είναι διαθέσιμο εδώ [τελευταία ενημέρωση 31/7/2023]
Last revised: 31/07/2023